Want to learn how to train a Border Collie to sit? This article is for you.
One of the easiest and most basic commands you can teach your Border Collie is “sit”. You can begin teaching this command even when the Collie is just a young puppy. All it takes is a little time to practice and a treat.
How to Train a Border Collie to Sit
There are a number of ways that you can teach this particular trick. From experience, the outlined guide in this article has been found to be very successful. Your puppy will learn and master this trick quickly. Moreover, you won’t have to force or push him into the sitting position.
Teaching the Sit Command
All you need for this trick is some practice time and a few treats. Finding a location that is free from distractions and that is quiet will also help. You don’t want your Border Collie to focus all his attention on the treat without getting to learn what you are teaching him.
Below are the steps to follow to teach your Border Collie to sit:
- Call your Collie over and show him the treat. Ensure that he knows what you have in your hand. If your Collie seems not to care about the treat, let him smell it. If the treat has a yummy smell, your Collie won’t resist it any longer.
- By now, you have your Collie’s full attention. So, hold the treat before him just above his head. Make sure you hold the treat not too high or he will jump up trying to get it from you. If your dog tries to reach for the treat, pull back and tell him “No”. Don’t allow him to grab the treat.
- You can now move the treat towards your dog. At this point, he is trying to maintain eye contact with the treat, which will either make him sit down or step back. If your dog doesn’t sit, you’ll have to start the process again.
- As soon as your dog tries to sit, you can then utter the “sit” command. For the command to work, make sure you say it before he sits.
- Immediately your Border Collie sits down on command, reward him with a treat and praise. This will enable your dog to associate the action and command with the reward. Continue practicing this trick until your Collie completely masters the “sit” command. From there, you can begin practicing it without giving him a treat.
Don’t force your Border Collie to sit down. When he sites on his own, he is going to learn the trick faster. It’s also easier to let your dog learn the command at his own will without any physical intrusion. Since Border Collies are an intelligent breed, your dog is sure to learn the sit command without any difficulty.